Friday, July 04, 2008

Thyroid problems or no progress?

I think the time has come for me to step into the reality that, either I am not getting better or my thyroid is messed up again.
I am in so much pain. The fatigue is just beyond normal tiredness.
My heel spurs are inflamed again, so that every step is a painful experience. I am waking up in cramps, toes cross, legs Charley horsed. I am getting hoarse when I talk. I am irritable, headachey and even my back is spasmed. My wrist are killing me and I just have pain every where. I don't want to give up on the AP, so my first step is going to be to get a thyroid panel and see if my Hashimoto's is flaring. I had a Rt Thyroid Lobectomy in 04. I cannot tell you how angry I was to find that he left the other 1/2 in there. I mean, yes the pathology was not cancer, but it was equally as large and I have Hashimoto's so there was no legitimate reason to leave it there. My theory (due to my large distrust of doctors in general) is that he left the 1/2 in there so I would have to go back to him to get it out later. You know return customer, keep that money train a rolling! Yes, I am being facetious. I can't help it, I know it is true. In most things, it is easier to do it right the first time, but no, everyone take a short cut....we'll come back for that later. Anyway, I guess I am going to have to test this old thyroid of mine again, maybe get an ultrasound. Hopefully, it is the culprit, so I can hold on to hope that the AP is working. It is the only hope I have to return to normal life. I hate living like this and want so much more for me and my family! If only I could find the way out. Remember, you have to be your own advocate. The health system will kill you if you don't stay on top of this stuff! I guarantee you I won't get a call from anyone asking me to check my thyroid. they know I have a problem with it, but they will never follow up unless I guide them to it. Keep on them, be your own advocate. It is this very thing that let my dad get a 7 cm lung tumor- the doctors knew he had COPD and was a prior smoker. Never did do a routine chest x-ray, but I guarantee you had they done one every six months to a year, they'd have been able to find the cancer before it was too late. So again I stress to any of you reading, don't wait for the doctors to do it for you. Get proactive in your health care, ask questions, demand test and if your doctor won't listen or spend the time to read your history or take you seriously-fire their butts. Don't let them ride around in a plush care, with the plush life while you sit there without an answer, in pain and die.

No comments: